Marine systems play crucial roles in our global economy with major opportunities for further growth and innovation. Yet at the same time, marine systems provide crucial ecosystem services for human and environmental health. Therefore, the blue economy, estimated by the OECD to have a gross value added of US$3 trillion by 2030, requires a sustainable growth strategy for marine and maritime activities that protects resources essential to human and environmental health
If you are passionate to shape the future of Blue economy, to integrate scientific knowledge with new technologies and to develop solutions for the multidisciplinary challenges within our oceans and seas, studying Environmental health and technology for marine systems at Ghent University (Belgium) is exactly what you are looking for.
Become an expert
With this specialization study, you will:
- Gain in-depth knowledge on opportunities and threats for marine systems and link these with the potential impact of economic blue growth activities.
- Learn to integrate the different environmental and economic drivers of blue growth within marine policy and governance
- Be able to balance the different economic interests while at the same time protecting the marine environment as public good.
- Be able to integrate different disciplines and technologies to address crucial challenges in a wide variety of blue growth sectors: blue biotechnology, seafood, coastal protection, maritime shipping and logistics, offshore energy.
- You can choose to major and perform thesis research in Environmental Health and Technology for marine systems during the entire second year of the two-year master program in Environmental Science and Technology.
- The teaching staff of this program is dedicated to train a new generation of professionals that is ready to provide creative, sustainable and workable solutions for increasingly complex and wicked environmental problems, from local to global scale, both in developed and developing economies, from oceans to megacities, duly accounting for the driving forces of global climate change.
- Ghent University is a top 100 university on the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities (66th overall, 37th for life sciences) and top 100 for environmental studies on the QS top universities ranking.
- The teaching staff of this master program has been in involved in worldwide renowned research in the area of Environmental Health and Technology for Marine Systems. For instance, cutting-edge research in oceans and human health, blue biotechnology, natural defenses for coastal protection and maritime logistics.
Proceso de aplicación
We urge you to complete the academic admission procedure as described on the enrollment pages. Do respect the deadlines for academic admission. Files received beyond the deadline will not be taken into consideration whatsoever. For all questions in relation to this procedure, please contact email@example.com.
Resultados del aprendizaje
The general objectives and learning outcomes of this reformed and innovated study programme remain unchanged. The ‘MSc in Environmental Science and Technology’ still focuses on the education of environmental specialists with ample knowledge of (1) the concepts and issues associated with environmental pollution, (2) the detection and quantification of environmental contamination, (3) the possible impact of environmental pollutants on ecosystems and biota, together with the current techniques for risk assessment, and (4) the available technologies for the prevention and remediation of environmental pollution (soil-water-air-waste) and the way they are designed and applied in practice.
Bachelor in de bio-ingenieurswetenschappen ; Bachelor in de ingenieurswetenschappen; Bachelor in de biochemie en de biotechnologie ; Bachelor in de biologie ; Bachelor in de biomedische wetenschappen ; Bachelor in de biowetenschappen ; Bachelor in de chemie ; Bachelor in de farmaceutische wetenschappen ; Bachelor in de fysica en de sterrenkunde ; Bachelor in de fysica ; Bachelor in de geologie ; Een diploma van een opleiding 'Bachelor in de industriële wetenschappen'; Bachelor in de bio-industriële wetenschappen.
Language requirements for this study programme differ from the required standard level for English-taught study programmes as specified in the Ghent University Education and Examination Code.
Dutch: no language requirements
English: Nationals of Australia, Botswana, Canada, Eritrea, Gambia, Ghana, Guyana, India, Ireland, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Namibia, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, UK, USA, Zambia, and Zimbabwe, need to send proof of at least one year - 60 ECTS (finished successfully) - of comprehensive English-based instruction at a Higher Education Institution (mode of instruction).
Candidates from any other nationality need to present test results of one of the following tests (validity of 5 years; TOEFL/IELTS predictive tests and TOEIC will not be accepted):
- TOEFL IBT 86
- TOEFL PBT 570
- ACADEMIC IELTS 6,5 overall score with a min. of 6 for writing
- CEFR B2
Categorías CINE (ISCED)