The Advanced Master Think Water (formerly known as 'Technology for Integrated Water Management') is a unique interdisciplinary programme that combines knowledge and expertise about water from the fields of natural sciences and engineering. The objective of the programme is to educate specialists in water technology and nature-based solutions with thorough understanding of integrated water management, the latest developments in the water sector and challenging global water issues. It is organised by the University of Antwerp, in collaboration with the Antwerp Maritime Academy as well as other higher education institutes, research institutes and companies in Belgium.
The advanced Master's programme Technology for Integrated Water Management aims to educate specialists in water technology with knowledge and understanding of integrated water management and policy, recent developments in the water sector and global water issues. It is jointly organised by Ghent University, Antwerp Maritime Academy, and the University of Antwerp.
ntegrated Water Management is one of the major challenges of the 21st century. Climate change and population growth are seriously impacting water resources, and as such water is a central issue in the sustainable development goals. Therefore, the demand for professionals with competences in integrated water management increases worldwide. The advanced master Technology for Integrated Water Management is an excellent preparation for an exciting career in research, global business, consulting or government.
The study programme offers a multidisciplinary educational package in which knowledge and expertise from various disciplines is integrated: ecology and bioscience, environmental science, engineering and nautical science. More specifically the focus is on:
- the interaction between classical technology and ecological engineering;
- thorough knowledge of the functioning of the whole water system;
- innovative and integrated solutions to all types of water management problems;
- Real life applications, projects and the many uses of our water systems through close collaboration with companies, NGO's, research institues and governments.
This will enable graduates to integrate technological and nature-based solutions into water management in various fields all over the world and as such contribute to more sustainable practices.
Because of its specific focus on the interaction between classical technology and ecological engineering. The combination of fundamental and applied sciences makes this advanced master unique in the world. The programme has been conceived as student-centred and competence-oriented education that is offered in a modular way.
Proceso de aplicación
You will have your main registration and need to enroll at the University of Antwerp. You can find the relevant application procedure through the links below:
Please note the application deadlines for 2020-2021!
Depending on your individual situation, one of the following deadlines applies:
- 15 February 2020: for non-EEA nationals who need to apply for a visa. Applications received after this date will not be considered if you still have to apply for a visa.
- 15 April 2020: for EEA nationals
- 15 September 2020: for master students with a Flemish or Dutch degree that does not give direct access to the programme
- 22 September 2020: for master students with a Flemish or Dutch degree that gives direct access tot the programme
Resultados del aprendizaje
On successful completion of this programme, students will have achieved the following competencies:
- advanced scientific understanding and knowledge of water technology, nature-based solutions and integrated water management;
- in-depth knowledge of new technologies for water use and reuse based on an integrated water resources management approach;
- knowledge and skills to select and apply relevant tools for collecting, interpreting and assessing (qualitative and quantitative) information from a variety of relevant sources on water technology and integrated water management;
- ability to assess the quality and relevance of studies performed by others;
- skills to take an active part in evaluation work him-/herself;
- ability to formulate integrated proposals as a contribution to the solution and prevention water related problems;
- skill to critically analyse policy plans, management proposals and measures for implementation and contribute to their set up;
- ability to communicate and justify solutions, strategies and opinions about water related problems and discuss them with a broad audience.
You must have a master’s degree in the field of:
- Applied Sciences
- Applied Biological Sciences
- Nautical Sciences
Other masters: only after approval of the application file from which appear previously acquired and proven competences in one of the above mentioned study areas.
The working language of the master of Science in Technology for Integrated Water Management is English. To assure active participation, a good command of English in all aspects (written, spoken, and comprehension) is a prerequisite.
Proof of proficiency in English has to be presented upon registration. Applicants can prove their proficiency in English by:
- submitting proof you have studied at least one academic year (or 60 ECTS credits) in an English-language master programme;
- submitting one of the following language certificates with a test validity of maximum 2 years:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language ): paper-based TOEFL level of minimum 550 or an internet-based TOEFL level of minimum 80.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System ): a minimum score of at least 6.5, and on each part minimum 6.0.
- or Knowledge level B2 of the Common European Framework.
More information on how to study for a TOEFL exam can be found here(link is external).
Language requirements apply to candidates with a non-Flemish master’s degree only. Candidates with a Flemish master's degree are nonetheless strongly advised to take a language test to assure they possess the necessary language skills to successfully complete the programme.
Categorías CINE (ISCED)